Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Firebird Concept Cars

I had to chuckle just a little about the "space ship" look to these.
Although the Firebird III does resemble the Cuda, Charger, Challenger, Corvette, Firebird and Camaro of later years, well if you squint real hard and have a headache.
 Firebird I and II, respectively
 Firebird I
Firebird III

Feasibility studies in the 30's by Emmett Conklin (the only person qualified 
to drive the Firebird I) designed the first gas turbine powered car to see if it had any redeeming qualities.  Redeeming?  You mean other than going 100 MPH and being a jet engine on a chassis.  Hmmmm, let's see, that would do it for me!  Later Maury Rose would test drive this car at the Indianapolis Speedway.  No speeds given for that test drive, however, it was noted that Conklin shut it down at 100 MPH when he shifted to 2nd gear the tires lost traction.  Really?
Now that reminds of the "Little Nash Rambler" song...Beep, Beep.

1 comment:

  1. Who would have thought that you could ride a 'missile?' Haha! The Firebird designs will leave everyone craving to ride them. Can it go to the outer space? I hope it can! And when that happens, I'll be the first in line. Cheers! :)

    Carson Wininger

    ReplyDelete