Fleet Week San Diego Navy Open House Given Green Light by Pentagon
August 23, 2013 (SAN DIEGO, CA) – Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel has given the green light for the Navy Open House at Naval Air Station North Island, September 21-22, a Fleet Week San Diego event.
“I’m excited that Naval Base Coronado has obtained approval to host the 2013 Coronado Speed Festival,” says Commanding Officer Captain Gary Mayes. “This Open House event is an excellent opportunity for San Diego and the surrounding communities to come out and tour Navy ships and aircraft, as well as see some unique cars and racing.”
This event will allow the community the opportunity to get a glimpse into a Navy base that is the workplace of more than 31,000 service members and civilians, and otherwise closed to the public. The Open House will include ship tours and static displays of aircraft and other military vehicles.
The NASNI Open House has hosted the Fleet Week Coronado Speed Festival for 16 years running. The “Race at the Base” is one of San Diego’s most successful fundraisers for the military and offers a variety of pulse-quickening events, including more than 250 historic race cars taking to the specially-constructed track on the runway.
Like every year, all active duty, active reserve and their direct-dependent military ID-holders will enjoy free admission to the event. Admission is free for children 12 and under, both military and non-military.
This year, Coronado Speed Festival pays tribute to the 40th Anniversary of the release of the Vietnam POWs. San Diego-area members of that group will represent the vets as military Honorary Grand Marshal and will be honored during the Opening Ceremonies on Sunday.
The Navy Open House and Coronado Speed Festival will also feature these can’t-miss attractions:
- The Military Pit Crew Challenge showcases young sailors and/or marines currently stationed on NASNI and other area installations. The 10-member teams will be timed as they recreate an actual pit stop, which includes jacking up the car, changing all four tires, fueling up and then pushing it out of the box and across the finish line.
- Ship Tour of navy ship currently stationed at NASNI
- Navy Recruiting will showcase the Navy SEALs Desert Patrol Vehicle: http://www.specialoperations.com/Navy/DPV/
- Commands and displays from Naval Air Station North Island
- Fleet Readiness Center Southwest: http://www.navair.navy.mil/frcsw/
- Strike Force Training Pacific: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Strike-Force-Training-Pacific/198855670124937
- Naval Special Warfare Command: http://www.public.navy.mil/nsw/Pages/default.aspx
For the public, tickets cost $25 for one day and $35 for both days, in advance on the event website. Tickets will also be available at the venue ($35 one day and $45 for both days).
About Coronado Speed Festival and Fleet Week San Diego
The Coronado Speed Festival is Fleet Week San Diego’s preeminent event featuring fast-paced, thrilling auto racing and exhibitions for car enthusiasts of all ages. Staged at one of racings’ most distinctive locations – Naval Air Station North Island, the birthplace of Naval Aviation – it’s the only place to see live racing on an active U.S. Navy runway. Proceeds for the event benefit the San Diego Fleet Week Foundation and the Navy Morale, Welfare & Recreation (MWR) program.
Find Coronado Speed Festival at our website, http://coronadospeedfest.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/coronadospeedfestival or follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/SpeedFestSD.
About Historic Motor Sports Association (HMSA)
The Coronado Speed Festival is produced and sanctioned by Historic Motor Sports Association (HMSA). Established in 1977, HMSA specializes in race events with historic cars, emphasizing the preservation and proper use of historic race cars. For more information about HMSA, call 818-249-3515 or visitwww.hmsausa.com or follow at www.facebook.com/hmsausa and www.twitter.com/hmsausa.